Leipsi is a group of small islands in the Eastern Aegean, between Patmos and Leros, with few inhabitants, peace, and beautiful beaches. (Photos: Charis Agelopoulos)
The history of Leipsi is indivisibly linked with that of the neighbouring, larger islands, particularly Patmos.
As is the case with all the islands of the Dodecanese, it seems that Leipsi has been inhabited continually from pre-historic times until today.
The Mother of God of Charon (the Ferryman of the Dead) is kept in the church of Saint John. The name comes from the fact that Our Lady is holding Christ Crucified rather than Christ the Infant.
Since 1943, the church has become well-known for a miracle with lilies. This miracle has taken place every year since April, 1943.
In a miraculous manner, the dry stems begin to put forth buds and, on the day of the feast of the Handing-Back of the Dormition of the Mother of God, they open.
There’s a feast on 22 August, for the Handing-Back of the Dormition (23 August), when a great many people come from Patmos, Leros and the surrounding islands.