Ammouliani29 October 2011
The cluster of islands which lies to the west of Prosphorion (Figs 57, 58) was a metochi as early as the beginning of the 14th century14. It seems that it was used chiefly as grazing ground, despite the fact that it suffered at the hands of pirates, who, especially during the period of Ottoman occupation, had established there one of their main northern Aegean anchorages.
During the Revolution of 1821 this anchorage was used as an important harbour refuge for the Greek ships which took part in the military operations of the Holy Mountain and the rest of Chalcidice.
In the middle of the 19th century the metochi began to be organised on a new basis. The church was built in 1865, the arsanas* in 1876 and 1902, and the large new buildings beside the church in the early 20th century. With the reclamation of forest land and the grafting of wild olive trees15, the organisation of the olive groves was begun.
The metochi was expropriated and re-settled by refugees. Thus Ammouliani became the only permanently inhabited island in Chalcidice.