Provlakas29 October 2011
This appears to have been founded in the 12th century16. It lay on the northern side of the Athos isthmus where the refugee village of Nea Roda now stands. During the 14th century it is known by the name of ‘Eladiava’17. The area of the metochi was increased by many purchases of land in neighbouring Ierissos during the first decade of the 14th century18 and the mid 17th century. In 1689 the adjacent small dependency of the Monastery of Dionysiou was acquired by exchange, and in 1741 another, belonging to the Monastery of Pantocrator was bought. This had formerly been a possession (before 1525) of the Bishopric of Ierissos19. On the southern side of the isthmus, Vatopaidi had owned since the 14th century the metochi known as Amaxina20, which it exchanged in 1901 with the Monastery of Aghiou Pavlou for fields abutting on the metochi of Provlakas21.
The metochi had a tower at least from the 12th century. It was located near today’s school at Nea Roda and collapsed during the great earthquake of 158522.
The metochi was expropriated and refugees were settled there.