The Holy Monastery of Docheiariou5 November 2011
The monastery was founded in the early 11th century (before 1013) near present-day Dafni, and was dedicated to St Nicholas. A few decades later it was moved to approximately its present position and about the end of the century it was dedicated to St Michael. By the early 14th century it was already dedicated to the Archangels Michael and Gabriel. The present katholikon was built in the 16th century, with wall-paintings of 1568 attributed to the painter Tzortzis. The monastery’s greatest treasure is the miraculous icon of the Virgin known as the Gorgoepekoos. Also of interest is the great inscribed bronze processional cross, an 11th century work. The monastery also possesses notable antiquities taken from the dependency it once owned on the first Halkidiki peninsula, Cassandra. Among these is an important early third century B.C. inscription recording ionations of land to Macedonian nobles by King Cassander.
Source: Monk Chariton, Images of Athos, 3rd edition, Mount Athos, 2007